11.18.2013

Gamifying the classroom

First I'd like to say that I absolutely agree with what Graham Stanley claims about games and language learning: games make learning fun and capture student's attention; they encourage language production, for students love to talk about games. And what is more important for teachers, they can be easily adapted for teaching purposes. I had never thought of gamifying lessons since I'm not a gamer myself but I believe it is a good idea to include games in the classroom.
The one that I tried and I especially liked was Dark Visions. I believe this game can be used with teenagers and adult students; it may be engaging the fact that students this age may be familiar with this type of horror stories that take place in a Gothic mansion and in which there is mistery to solve.
This game is particularly useful if you have to teach how to give instructions. The procedure is as follows: I would show students the trailer of this game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAjXMM-jVFI . After students watch this trailer, I would engage them in conversation by asking what they could see there, if they had any idea what  this game is about or if they had ever read any book or watched any movie similar to this game. After this "pre-gaming stage", students will play the game. While playing the game, they can write down instructions on what to do and how to go on with the game. Then they can get in pairs and play the game together, this time following his/ her partner instructions. After playing the game in pairs, students discuss what they thought of the game adn write a review of it. Here is the link to the game, I hope ypu like it!
http://www.tenthplay.com/dark-visions/

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario